navi Scroll & Click to Navigate something

Medical & Health Care

Taking care of one’s health is always a top priority. This is even more essential when participating in an intense academic experience in a different country. If any IUP students have questions about their health or where to seek medical treatment, IUP staff are ready to assist them at any time.


Stanford will not purchase insurance for students starting from 2019 fall semester.
Tsinghua now mandates that all international students (including IUP students) MUST purchase the health insurance plan that they provide on the留学保险网, the link to which is below:

Please refer to Tsinghua’s insurance page for more information:

Please choose the insurance plan listed in the following link according to your own need:

You need to purchase the insurance before school starts at the following link:

If you would like to purchase an international health insurance plan from CISI (, IUP’s former international health insurance provider with a direct billing relationship to one of the top international hospitals in Beijing, Beijing United Family Hospital ( or any oversea insurance plan according to your own preference, you may do so. BUT you MUST still purchase the insurance plan above, due to Chinese regulations.



There is a wide variety of health care services available in Beijing. Traditional Chinese Medicine can be helpful for certain issues and some students speak highly of their experience with TCM. Medical treatment at public Chinese hospitals is quite affordable, but the level of service can be very different from hospitals abroad. Many students find local hospitals a cost-effective way to deal with minor ailments, even though it often includes long waits and multiple trips to the cashier for payment. Beijing’s private international hospitals offer services in settings more familiar to international students but at a much higher price.

Beijing United Family Hospital
Direct Billing with IUP insurance

For serious medical issues, IUP students to seek treatment at Beijing United Family Hospital or one of its several clinics throughout the city. Conveniently, Beijing United Family hospital has an Wukaokou clinic, close to Tsinghua University and the area most students live. BUFH is a for-profit, international, full-service hospital, with many foreign doctors and English-speaking staff. It’s organized like an American hospital and the prices are also similar. Fortunately, IUP students’ health insurance offers direct billing at BUFH.

Other International Hospitals in Beijing

Beijing has several high-quality international hospitals, but IUP student health insurance only has a direct-billing relationship with Beijing United Family Hospital. If students choose to use other international hospitals, they must pay up front and request reimbursement from the insurance company.

Tsinghua University Hospital

Located on the west side of campus, the Tsinghua University Hospital is a convenient option for treating minor ailments like colds, fevers, diarrhea, and cuts. Although the levels of interior decoration and customer service are quite different from many Western hospitals, there are excellent doctors and equipment at this clinic. Although international health insurance does not work at this hospital, the prices are quite low.

More Information in the Student Handbook

IUP provides new students with a printed student handbook upon their arrival in Beijing. This handbook includes more detailed information about medical care, including hospital listings, phone numbers, and addresses.



What should I know about the air quality?


Although there have been significant improvements in air quality in recent years, air pollution remains a serious problem for Beijing residents. While it is a part of life in the city, there are many common-sense strategies for reducing the effects of air pollution. IUP is committed to assisting students and staff in dealing with this aspect of life in the city

Know the Air Quality

Wind patterns are the best way to predict Beijing’s air quality. If the wind is blowing from the North, Northwest, Southwest, or West, then the air tends to be clear. If there is no wind, or the wind is blowing from the South, Southeast, East, or Northeast, there is a greater chance of higher pollution levels.

Dealing with Air Pollution

How one responds to air pollution is a personal choice, but IUP recommends all students follow the air quality readings and behavioral guidelines established by the United States Department of State and the following strategies:

  • Download smartphone applications the give real-time air quality readings
  • Check air quality readings as frequently as the weather report
  • Pay attention to whether the app is displaying US Air Quality Index (AQI) or Chinese AQI readings. In general, US AQI readings will be higher than Chinese readings.

Do I need a physical exam to attend IUP?


According to a new Tsinghua University policy, all students who attend IUP must complete a health exam to register at Tsinghua. In the past, only students who planned to attend IUP for the Academic Year program would need to do a health exam, but Tsinghua now also requires semester and summer students to submit a health exam report. This health exam must also include blood tests for infectious diseases.

Semester and Summer students with X2 Student Visas may complete their health exam in their home country and submit the report to Tsinghua upon arrival in Beijing. Academic Year students with X1 Student Visas must complete the health exam after their arrival in Beijing. IUP will organize a group trip to the health exam center. The fee is 400 rmb (roughly $60 USD).

IUP staff will share more information about the health exam in student pre-arrival documents.


Should I get a physical exam before departing?


This simplest and most likely cheapest option is to do the health exam when you arrive in Beijing. The fee is 400 rmb (roughly $60 USD). IUP will organize a group trip to the health exam center.

Semester and Summer students with X2 Student Visas may complete their health exam in their home country and submit the report to Tsinghua upon arrival in Beijing. Tsinghua recognizes health exams completed abroad, as long as it includes a blood test.

Academic Year students with X1 Student Visas, however, cannot must complete the health exam after their arrival in Beijing. This is required by the Entry and Exit Administration of the Public Security Bureau as part of the process of changing the one-month X2 student visa into a multiple-entry Student Residence Permit. The Entry and Exit Administration only accepts health exams completed in Beijing.




Check out our Parents' page with curated topics that parents are frequently interested in.