navi Scroll & Click to Navigate something

Accepted Students

bg bg

Once you have passed your IUP Language Interview, you can begin the administrative process necessary for formal enrollment in the program.

Check your email for notifications and to upload your documents.
This process will include the following steps:
  • Enrollment Documents 1

  • Connect with IUP Students 2

  • Tuition Deposit & Tuition 3

  • Visa 4

  • Arrival 5

1/ 6

Receive Enrollment Documents via Email


Upon acceptance into the program, IUP staff will send the following enrollment and tuition payment documents to the email address you input in your application form.

  • Assumption of Risk, Release of Claims Indemnification and Hold Harmless Agreement for the Inter-University Program for Chinese Language Studies
  • Enrollment and Tuition Deposit Payment Service Contract
  • Tuition Deposit Payment Instructions

You should expect these documents to be sent to you within two weeks of receiving your notification of acceptance to IUP or around the following times…

  1. Fall Semester and Academic Year enrollees: March to April
  2. Spring Semester enrollees: October to November
  3. Summer Program enrollees:  February to March
  • What is WAB-ed?

    The WAB Institute of Education (WAB-ed) is IUP’s financial management services provider in China. WAB-ed is a domestically-registered non-profit organization authorized to manage international educational programs. Aside from working with IUP, WAB-ed’s portfolio includes serving as the institutional owner of one of Beijing’s oldest and most respected international private schools, the Western Academy of Beijing (WAB). WAB-ed receives IUP’s application fees and tuition payments, offers accounting services, pays domestic Chinese taxes, and transfers funds for IUP business. This arrangement allows IUP to be fully compliant with all Chinese laws and regulations, as well as allowing IUP staff to focus exclusively on academics and daily program management.

  • What is the Enrollment and Tuition Deposit Payment Service Contract and why is it necessary?

    China’s banking regulations have been getting increasingly strict over the last several years. Since January 2016, the Bank of China requires documentation like this service contract before allowing domestic Chinese organizations to withdraw funds received from abroad. This also applies to PayPal payments, which go into the Bank of China account that WAB-ed operates on behalf of IUP. In short, WAB-ed cannot withdraw tuition deposits or tuition payments from the bank without this contract.

    IUP requires signed copies of these documents before you are considered officially enrolled in the program. Please submit digital copies of all signed documents to

Connect with IUP


Please connect with us in the following ways.

  • Update your email address: Please make sure IUP has an email address that you will continue to use during your time in China. We will use this email address to share important enrollment, payment, and visa information with you.
  • Apply to join the “Current IUPers” Google Group. This is the best way to learn about what’s happening at IUP before you arrive and find off-campus apartments with another IUPer, recent graduate, or with a trusted landlord. 
  • Share your WeChat handle with IUP. WeChat is an essential tool for navigating life in Beijing. Share your WeChat handle with IUP to connect with students, teachers, and learn about alumni events.

Pay Tuition Deposit and Tuition


For Spring semester and Fall semester students, you are required to pay your full tuition in two separate payments: a deposit to IUP’s in-country financial management services partner, JERI, and the tuition remainder paid directly to Tsinghua University.

For Academic Year students, you will pay your tuition fee in two semesters (Fall semester and Spring semester). For each semester, you are required to pay your tuition in two separate payments: a deposit to IUP’s in-country financial management services partner, JERI, and the tuition remainder paid directly to Tsinghua University.

After your acceptance into the program, IUP staff will contact you with more payment details.


Apply for a Chinese Visa


Chinese regulations require that international students studying at IUP use one of the following visas:

  • Student (X) Visa OR
  • Work Residence Permit

Enroll at Tsinghua University

IUP’s staff will contact all enrollees via email with detailed application instructions and deadlines. Although Tsinghua’s online application periods changes slightly each year, in general, the dates are as follows:

  1. Summer: April 1 to April 20
  2. Fall Semester and Academic Year: April 1 to May 10
  3. Spring Semester:  November 1 to November 10
  • Fill out the Tsinghua University Online Application Form
  • Print, sign, and attach a passport photo to the completed form
  • Email the signed form to IUP
  • IUP will submit a hard copy of the application form to Tsinghua
  • Receive enrollment and visa documents (Tsinghua University Acceptance Letter and JW-202)
  • If already employed in China with Work Residence Permit, this process is complete
  • If not already employed in China with a Work Residence Permit, then Apply for a Student (X) Visa

Student status includes such benefits as a student ID card, access to Tsinghua’s campus wifi network, library borrowing privileges, and, potentially, access to on-campus dormitory housing (although on-campus dormitories are extremely difficult to secure).

Receive Student Visa documents & Apply for Student (X) Visa

Students should expect to receive their visa documents one to two months prior to the start date of their time at IUP. Tsinghua sends the completed forms to IUP’s office and IUP then mails the forms to enrollee’s address.

  1. Fall semester / Academic Year: students will receive their visa documents in mid-July
  2. Spring semester: students will receive their visa documents in early December
  3. Summer:  students will receive their visa documents in early May

In order to successfully apply for a Student (X) Visa, applicants must have the following documents:

  • Tsinghua University Admission Letter
  • JW-202 Form from the Chinese National Ministry of Education

IUP students should apply for a Student (X) Visa for China using the Tsinghua Admission Letter and JW-202 form. Students must apply for the visa at the Chinese embassy or consulate closest to their permanent address, though some students are also able to apply for a Student (X) Visa in Hong Kong. Please see the Chinese embassy or consulate website in your home country for more details.

You may choose to apply for the visa in person or through a visa agency. Applying in person will require two trips to the embassy or consulate; the first to submit your application and passport and the second to pick up your passport with the visa inside. While visa agencies include a service fee, in most cases you can mail your application form and passport to the visa agency. They will apply on your behalf, pick up your passport with the visa, and mail it back to you.

Standard visa processing time is generally 3 to 5 business days, although this can change depending on the embassy or consulate. Rush services are available for an extra fee.

Types of Visas

Summer program and one-semester students should apply for an X2 Student Visa.

X2 Student Visas are intended for those studying in China for less than 6 months (180 days). If you intend to do any international traveling while in China, you should apply for a multiple entry X2 Student Visa. Receiving a multiple entry study visa is not guaranteed, as it is at the discretion of the visa officer at the Chinese embassy or consulate.

Academic Year students should apply for an X1 Student Visa.

X1 Student Visa are intended for those who will study in China for longer than 6 months (180s days). X1 Student Visas are initially only valid for 30 days after entering China, indicated by three zeros (“000”) under the “Duration of Stay” section on the visa page. X1 Student Visa holders must start the process of transferring their X1 Student Visas to a Residence Permit as soon as they arrive in China. This will include taking a simple health test, registering your local address with the police, and applying for the Residence Permit. Residence Permits are multiple entry visas, allowing you to leave and return to China as many times as you choose during the course of your study at IUP. IUP staff will assist you in completing all of these necessary steps during our orientation week.


Applicants who are already employed in China under a Work Residence Permit may enroll at IUP without applying for a student visa, but such applicants must still complete the Tsinghua University Registration Form to receive student status. Work Residence Permit holders can enroll at IUP without giving up their Residence Permit.

Arrive in Beijing


Pre-Flight Preparations

You should contact your bank to set a travel notice on your ATM/debit and credit cards. This should prevent your bank’s automated security system from blocking the card when you use it in Beijing.

Makes copies and take digital photos of your relevant documentation, including:

  • Passport photo page
  • Chinese visa
  • JW-202 form
  • Tsinghua University Acceptance Letter
  • Addresses in Chinese of your hotel and/or IUP

Upon Arrival

Beijing Capital International Airport

Most international flights to Beijing will arrive at Terminal 3 of the Beijing Capital International Airport, though some arrive at the smaller Terminal 2. You will go through passport control before picking up your checked luggage.

Transportation to Wudaokou (District where Tsinghua is located)

Airport Train + Subway (approx. 30 RMB)

  • Follow the signs outside of the international arrivals gate to the Airport Express rain
  • Pay 25 RMB for the one-way ticket
  • Exit the Airport Express train at Sanyuanqiao Station (1 stop, after leaving the airport)

Note: Do NOT take taxis or cars from outside the Airport Express train Sanyuanqiao Station! Many drivers try to take advantage of non-residents by significantly overcharging for the ride.

  • Purchase a Yikatong Transportation Card (20 RMB) and add money to the card
  • Transfer to Subway Line 10 Outer Loop toward Zhichunlu Station (9 stops)
  • Transfer to Subway Line 13 going north toward Dongzhimen (1 stop)
  • Exit at Subway Line 13 Wudaokou Station


  • Do NOT accept rides from the drivers who might come up to you in the airport asking if you need a taxi
  • Follow the signs outside of the international arrivals gate to the Ground Transportation / Taxis and wait in line for a registered Beijing taxi
  • Show/Tell the driver where you want to go
  • Pay the price on the meter plus a 10 RMB airport freeway toll. The total cost should be roughly 100 RMB
  • Keep your taxi receipt, in case you leave anything in the cab

Check-In to Hotel

IUP recommends that students stay in a hotel after their initial arrival in Beijing. Hotels are the most convenient option for students who have just completed an intercontinental flight, are likely carrying a lot of luggage, and dealing with jetlag. IUP staff can reserve rooms for students at affordable hotels near Tsinghua’s campus.

Hotels automatically register international guests with the local Public Security Bureau, so you do not need to go process the Temporary Residence Registration at the local police station.

  • Enrollment Documents 1

  • Connect with IUP Students 2

  • Tuition Deposit & Tuition 3

  • Visa 4

  • Arrival 5

1/ 6


We are here to make this complicated process go as smoothly as possible.

Get in Touch

You will also be sent staff mobile numbers before departure.

+86 10 6277-1505

Wenbei Lou 502 Tsinghua University Beijing, China 100084




  • Princeton University
  • Stanford University
  • University of British Columbia
  • University of California, Berkeley
  • Columbia University
  • Cornell University
  • Indiana University
  • Tsinghua University
  • University of Chicago
  • University of Michigan
  • Yale University