navi Scroll & Click to Navigate something

Tuition, Fees and Financial Aid

Tuition, Fees and Financial Aid

Studying at IUP is a significant intellectual and financial investment. Below are details about tuition, expenses, IUP financial aid, and other sources of funding to help you make an informed decision.


Tuition and Fees







Other expenses not included in the tuition cost include:

IUP Financial Aid

In recent years, IUP has been able to award about $30,000 annually in fellowship funds. All semester and academic year applicants are eligible for fellowship aid, provided they apply to the program by the posted deadline. Financial aid come in the form of partial program fee reductions and are intended to supplement other resources available to the student. There is no IUP financial aid available for the IUP Summer Program.

Educational Loans and Loan Deferment

The Inter-University Program for Chinese Language Studies is not a degree-granting institution. For this reason, IUP students are inelibigle for US Federal Government education loans. These loans would only be available if the student is concurrently enrolled at a US institution willing to certify the loan application.

At the request of a student, IUP will, however, send a descriptive statement of work being done to a financial institution for the purposes of educational loan deferment. Loan deferment through IUP is not guaranteed. Applicants should check with their loan agency because some will not grant deferments while studying at a consortium-sponsored program.

Other Sources of Funding

Applicants are encouraged to apply for any and all scholarships and fellowships for which they are eligible and which can be used for study overseas. There are many granting agencies and we have provided some initial contacts below.

If you are currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program, check with your university’s study abroad office or your department staff to see if there are scholarships available for studying language abroad. Some universities also offer travel stipends for students going abroad for academic pursuits.

  • Freeman-Asia Awards

    The Freeman-ASIA program is designed to support U.S.-based undergraduates with demonstrated financial need who are planning to study abroad in East or Southeast Asia. The program’s goal is to increase the number of U.S. citizens and permanent residents with first-hand exposure to and understanding of Asia and its peoples and cultures.

  • Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS)

    The Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships program provides allocations of academic year and summer fellowships to institutions of higher education or consortia of institutions of higher education to assist meritorious undergraduate students and graduate students undergoing training in modern foreign languages and related area or international studies. Eligible students apply for fellowships directly to an institution that has received an allocation of fellowships from the U.S. Department of Education.

  • The Blakemore Freeman Fellowship

    A fellowship for graduate students and professionals for one year of intensive language training.

  • National Security Education Program (NSEP) Boren Awards

    Boren Scholarships (undergraduate students only) and Boren Fellowships (graduate students only), initiatives of the National Security Education Program, provide unique funding opportunities for U.S. undergraduate students to study less commonly taught languages in world regions critical to U.S. interests, and underrepresented in study abroad, including Africa, Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East. The countries of Western Europe, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand are excluded.

  • The Richard U. Light Fellowship Program

    The Richard U. Light Fellowship Program supports Yale undergraduate, graduate, and professional school students pursuing intensive language study in East Asia for terms ranging from a single summer to a combined summer plus academic year.

  • NBR Chinese Language Fellowship Program

    The National Bureau of Asian Research’s Chinese Language Fellowship Program, funded by the Carnegie Corporation, is open to US citizens or permanent residents currently enrolled Ph.D. programs in political science.


    Please note :

    IUP students are not eligible to use China Scholarship Council scholarships, the so-called “Chinese Government Scholarship”, to pay for IUP tuition. China Scholarship Council scholarships are only awarded for direct enrollment in Chinese universities, not international joint-run programs like IUP.